Monday, May 9, 2011

To My Favorite Mothers... (Every Day)



The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

~*~*~*~*~*~

Yesterday was "Mother's Day", and while I was inspired and truly meant to publish a blog post dedicated to all of my favorite mothers - I never did get around to it. Instead, I spent the day visiting some of those ladies. In the morning, I was awakened (as usual) by my two little Mini's, climbing into bed with the Warm One and I; they struggled to squeeze in between us, fighting over the covers, until they were reminded what day it was. Together they then ran to the kitchen and raced back to me, smothering me with hugs, kisses, and Hallmarks scribbled with their own names (not homemade - but sweet yet for 2 and 4). The morning was spent at the flea market, sharing hot dogs, Sun Drop slushies, and buying flowers for the grandmas; the afternoon was spent visiting grandmas all around.

So, to all of my favorite mothers, today, yesterday, and every day - I wish you a happy mother's day. I hope that each and every mama out there was blessed to spend her day with those she loves - her children, her grandchildren, the children who may not be "hers" but who really still are. To stepmothers, aunties, and foster moms. To the mothers who try so hard and get nothing in return, and those who miss so much for so many reasons - may there be happy endings, in the end. The teachers, the neighbors, the friends. The spiritual leaders and the strong women who stand up to those who hurt children. To all the women who watch children grow, who help them learn and stand beside them, who share their lives and give so much. To the women who open their hands and hearts at the beginning of lives, and who embrace the ends of lives as well. To the mothers I know, to the mothers who have been so gracious and generous to share their pregnancies and birth experiences with me, and to my mothers. To earth mothers, to new mothers and 'old' mothers, to scared mothers and calm mothers. To all mothers - happy mothers day.

No comments:

Post a Comment