Tuesday, February 28, 2012

North by North West...

That - is the question.

At the end of the last post, I alluded to some internal conflict between the two sites where I recently had interviews. The first site, dibbed "North", is located about 5-6 hours from where my family has always called home. It's got quite a few things going for it; the pay is nice (relatively - I don't know what the other nurse-midwives that graduated in my peer group are being paid, for the most part, but the rough starting pay I was quoted for this position is about what I was expecting based on my searches for this area). The site is also a HRSA (Health Resource Service Administration) designated site, and the position is eligible for loan reimbursement --- which means that by committing to work in the role for at least two years, I would say buh-bye to a nice chunk of my student loans (and by working a third year, one more of those big ole monkeys would also take a hike... leaving me just about free and clear on the loan front). My partner would be a midwife who developed the nurse-midwifery practice at the site ten years ago, and has worked to build a great relationship with the handful of family practice doctors who she works alongside (by the way, I LOVE family practice doctors - not such a fan of OB's --- most likely because I simply have worked with very few, but also what I have heard of them hasn't been so favorable...). The main clinic at this site is located in a rural area and is very full-service, offering clients a range of services from x-ray and lab to WIC and massage; the practice also has a secondary site in a large city about 30 minutes away, with limited services (but just as vital care for recipients in the urban area). Call would be shared, possibly 2-2.5 days a week and 1 weekend a month (with an estimated 50 births annually); clinic would be 4 days a week split between the two clinic sites. After visiting "North" --- I felt good, confident, ready to go. I had a strong feeling that I was going to be offered the position, and that I would probably take it.

But. (That "but" is always there, now, isn't it?) In the days that followed our return from our visit, a few things nagged at me. At the end of my visit with the midwife at "North", I asked a few questions (thankfully) regarding the specifics of her midwifery practice. Did she feel that she did a lot of inductions? (She felt like she actually probably did more than she should... red flag?! red flag!! Her rationale? She did take days off - understandable, since she was a solo midwife and had been for the past 10+ years; she stated that she did offer induction at times to her patients before she went on vacation. Hmmm. So - on one hand, this seemed OK. On the other... something to ponder.) What about continuous monitoring versus intermittent? (Answer: If a woman specifically wanted to be off the monitors, she was good with that - but if there was no preference either way, she didn't push for intermittent monitoring either... ???!!? Rationale for this one --- The nursing staff tended to be low, and this made IA difficult to impossible at times. The unit did have telemetry, so continuous monitoring didn't necessarily =/= a patient that was stuck in bed --- but then again, MY unit also has a telemetry unit... which sucks. As much as I'd like to say telemetry means a patient can labor while ambulating, or in the shower, or on the toilet or squatting or standing on her head --- not necessarily. Especially if she's on continuous EFM for nursing/provider convenience in the first place. S0 - another thing to ponder. While again I can understand the reasoning behind using EFM versus the additional time necessary to IA --- and am glad she had that explanation rather than that she needed the security blanket of the paper/electronic strip to ensure babe was doing all right --- I still get nervous at the idea of having hours and hours of paper strips staring at the nurse... and resident... and whoever looks at them and starts seeing oogie-boogie monsters in the shadows of innocent variability or the occasional benign decel.) Those were the two biggies on my "hmmm" list... From just a facility point of view, it would take a while to get used to LDRP's that are half the size of the ones at "my" rural critical access hospital, some of which have shared bathrooms. And residents (I've never worked with residents in my life - they seem like a whole different species!). And - while I won't say specifically which states, I will say that "North" is in a neighboring state which has a longstanding, sometimes vicious football rivalry with our NFL football team. And the Warm One is a diehard football fan.

So there are at least a handful of things that "stick", if that makes sense. Not that I'm not seriously considering things --- it's just not 100%, yet...

And then - there's "West". I flew out there last week and fell in love. I texted the Warm One immediately (or maybe it was after dinner with the midwives - either way, I hadn't been there long) and emphatically told him that I would cry if I didn't get the position. Throughout the course of my two days with the midwives at the "West" practice, my position on the area and their care philosophy didn't change. At all. I want to go there. The town where this practice is located? Beautiful. It's twice the size of the small town I live in; I'm a small town girl, so I can handle that. Their practice? Gorgeous. Clinic exam rooms that are spacious, with huge, full-sized "beds" (seriously, I have no other way to describe them) covered in pillows created for expectant mothers to lounge --- alongside big brothers and sisters, or dads-to-be as well --- and chat, listen to that precious heartbeat, and learn. Beautiful birth-inspired, earthy artwork everywhere. No sterile white walls or ugly, plain paintings meant to be aesthetically neutral. All of my questions - "Do you induce a lot?" "How do you feel about VBAC's?" "Are you open to a new grad?" - are met with just the right answers ... yes, inductions are necessary sometimes --- but not just 'because'! And they do VBAC's, and waterbirths, and LOVE students. It's amazing just to pick up the calm, reassuring vibes as they answer questions - to picture these two women as mentors is mindblowing. The call/clinic schedule is specifically geared to give each of the three midwives a rejuvenating period frequently; at least once every three weeks, each midwife gets a 5-day off stretch (that is, five STRAIGHT DAYS OFF in a row. Heaven. No clinic, no call, nothing, for five days.). Clinic and call are intermixed, often with stretches of 3 days off in a row as well. As one of the midwives stated, "When we are on-call, we usually work hard (the group of three midwives delivers between 250-300 babies annually) - but when we're off, we also 'rest hard'." I can dig that. To be able to serve my patients AND my family? Awesome-sauce. And the hospital is about 2-2.5 larger than 'my' OB unit --- so larger, but not as large as "North"; the nurses were great, and loved the midwives. Downfalls? Cost of living! To find a house under $200k may be impossible, and we would have to trade in one of our cars for an AWD or four-wheel drive; the pay "West" is also significantly ($10-$15k - ish) less than "North", with 2 weeks less vacation time and likely less benefits in other areas, particularly no loan forgiveness. Big things the Warm One is concerned about. And, of course, being a plane ride away from Home. Where the hearts are.

Speaking of home.... And hearts. It's a hard thought to think of leaving everyone that I/we love behind us. As much as I always suck at returning messages, emails, phone calls, etc --- it's even harder with all of this going on. Part of me wants to ignore that any of this is happening - that any changes are coming - but to do that it also means ignoring any references to change. Whether we go "North" or "West" ... or anywhere else ... it hurts. And it's scary. But it will be okay, too.

For the time being, I'm waiting for a phone call. A phone call from "West" could be making a decision that we go that way - throwing caution to the wind and hoping that the cost of living will balance out - or the other way. Or, perhaps, no call, but a "thank you, but no thank you" letter (as they did have two other candidates yet to interview...) leading us "North" ...

~*~*~*

In the meantime, I'm content to be back on the edge of that abyss, arms wide open, and leaning in, knowing that wherever the fall leads, I will land gently...

No comments:

Post a Comment